Think SMILE to help you remember these five key tips for more effective selling.
1) S. Seek out the customer: we can’t sell to people who aren’t there.
2) M. Meet the customer with a cursory nod or a “Good morning”, or “Good afternoon” as they enter the store. Observe what they do and where they go. After a few minutes approach the customer indirectly as though you’re doing something else – very importantly, don’t make them feel you’re coming over to talk to them.
3) I. Investigate, using open-ended questions, what the customer’s problem, need or want is. Be genuine and listen: that’s why you have two ears and one mouth – listen twice as much as you speak. Important: customers always buy solutions to problems – they don’t buy product for the sake of it.
4) L. Lead: show the customer what it is that you have to solve their problems, confirm with the customer that this item does everything they want.
5) E. Execute. Ask for the sale: “Now that you’ve confirmed this is what you’re looking for let’s go over to the counter and fill in the paperwork shall we?” “Would you like this in the blue or yellow?” “Will you be able to take this today or would you like us to deliver it for you?” When asking for the sale avoid a yes or no answer.